Monday, June 28, 2010

Bonding Between Cohorts


The University of San Francisco Sport Management students from Cohort 30 and Cohort 32 recently joined together for an internship meeting on the Northern California campus with the program’s internship professor, Dr. Rich Cellini. Students from Cohort 30, who will be graduating this December, shared their past experiences with internships and gave their advice to the most recent Cohort 32 on the do’s and don’ts in the sports industry.

“Be patient and be persistent,” advised Francis Sorenson, Cohort 30. “Follow your passion but don’t put all your eggs in one basket. There are so many opportunities out there so make sure you take advantage of them while you can.”

With a wide sports network in San Francisco and Los Angeles, it often feels as if there are so many opportunities to work in different sports but not enough time to do everything.

“What’s the perfect internship? What do you do?” asked Nick Vay, Cohort 32. “Should I try something else? I asked myself these questions often. I realize it’s not about trying opportunities at different jobs but about creating different opportunities at one job.”

Every student had the chance to share their journey through the Sport Management program. Some students knew their dream job coming into the program and have worked hard to make that dream a reality. Others have continued to pave the way as the opportunities arise.

“I’ve always wanted to be a sports agent for the 49ers. Over the last year I have worked in marketing, sales, and operations for the 49ers and I think it’s a great organization,” expressed Chris Henderson, Cohort 30. “It’s important to stay humble and keep your energy up and eventually you will get what you want.”

Cali Gilbert from Cohort 30, on the other hand, was offered what she wanted and decided to take another path. “I was asked to take the position of what I thought would be my dream job but I soon realized I wanted to start my own business,” Cali explained. “It wasn’t easy, but I can honestly say there are two people who have your back in life, your mom and Dr. Cellini.” Cali now owns her own Promotions and Event Management business called Serendipity in the nearby town of Sausalito.

The meeting ended with a new bond and network between the two cohorts. To officially seal this bond, Cohort 30 challenged Cohort 32 to a softball match at the end of summer. Stay tuned for an update on the softball champions. As for now- Bring it on, Cohort 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment